Debt & Budgeting
We’ve all been on the rollercoaster of gas prices. With surges during the pandemic and the war in Ukraine we’ve all been a little shaken by gas costs. We haven’t seen this kind of shakeup since the 2008 financial crisis.
As always, we’re here to help. And while we can’t change the price of gas, we can give you a few hacks to fill your tank and not empty your wallet.
- Use a gas rewards card. Some cards save you between 3-5% – which is considerable. Just make sure what you’re spending on gas and annual fees are still saving you money.
- Use cash. While not super convenient, some gas stations will give discounts for cash. So, if you don’t mind keeping dollar bills on you, you can save money that way, too.
- Keep your car properly maintained. Check tires. Get oil changes regularly. Take the car in when service lights go on. Get it checked by a mechanic. It’s not just fixing issues-it may get you better gas mileage.
- Research Gas Prices. Use a gas comparison app. Find the best prices in your neighborhood and enjoy the extra cash.
Changing Your Driving Habits Could Save You Money
- Walk or bike when possible. Makes sense. Less driving, less gas. More exercise. So, your wallet and you stay healthy.
- Embrace carpooling. Everyone wants to save gas these days. So, invite friends, family and co-workers to carpool. That way everyone gets in on the savings.
- Take public transportation. Buses, trains and subways are a great way to get around and save gas. Also, a great way to see your city.
- Change your driving style. Driving slow and steady isn’t just safer-it’s better to get more miles to the gallon. Keeping your car from idling and shutting down the car when standing still goes a long way, too.
- Plan your routes. The shortest route may be from A to B, but it may not save on gas. So, explore more efficient routes-every little bit counts.
We’re always going to need gas. But that doesn’t mean we can’t find ways to do more without it or use less of it. You may find a few more enjoyable lifestyle changes. As well as saving on gas.
© Fintactix, LLC 2022