Free Credit Reports
Consumers now have the right to order a free copy of their credit report thanks to a new federal law, known as the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act.
Under terms of this law the three major credit reporting agencies, Equifax, TransUnion and Experian, are each required to provide consumers, upon request, a free copy of their credit report once every 12 months from a centralized source. This comes as a welcome relief to the millions of Americans who have had to pay to review their credit reports in the past.
- The credit reporting agencies have authorized annualcreditreport.com as the official site to distribute the free credit reports. The agencies have stressed that this is the only web site they have endorsed to distribute free annual reports.
- annualcreditreport.com allows you to view and print one, two or all three of your free credit reports quickly via a secure Internet site.
- You can also request the report by phone toll-free (877) 322-8228 or by mail: Annual Credit Report Request Service, P.O. Box 105281, Atlanta, GA 30348-5281.
- You'll be able to order all three credit reports at one time, or at different times throughout the year. It's your choice.
- Be sure to order from the centralized agency, annualcreditreport.com. If you go directly to the individual credit reporting agencies, you will be charged unless you fit another criteria for a free report.