Mid-year financial check-up
With half of 2016 behind us, it is the perfect time to take a look at your finances. Are you meeting the goals you set as a part of your New Year's Resolution? Are you spending too much? Saving too little? Now is the time to get things back on track.
Financial experts suggest you follow these steps:
1. Rethink big goals. Are you half-way to meeting the goals you set at the start of the year? If you had planned to save $5,000 for a major purchase, are you half-way there? If not, now is the time to make adjustments.
2. Give yourself a raise. Look for ways to make more money. Do you know a second language you could teach? Do you have craft or cooking skills you could share? Explore ways to boost your income, even if it's just over summer.
3. Review flexible spending. If you signed up for a flexible spending account at the start of the year, see where your account stands. If you haven't spent close to half of your allotted dollars, look into potential expenses throughout the rest of the year and ways you can make adjustments to get the most of out of your accounts.
4. Cut your energy costs. During the summer, energy costs skyrocket. Limit your expenses by turning up your thermostat by a couple of degrees during the day and keeping your shades down.
5. Don't overtax yourself. If you are earning less or more than you expected you may want to consider adjusting your W-9 form.
Follow these steps and you'll be on your way to ending 2016 on a high note!