• 1st Source opened its doors on November 30, 1863 in South Bend as the First National Bank of South Bend.
• When the bank opened for business the Civil War was raging and Abraham Lincoln was President. Since then, the bank has seen 27 other Presidents lead our nation.
• Schuyler Colfax, who served in Congress throughout the Civil War and later became Vice President under Ulysses S. Grant, was an early client.
• The bank opened its first branch in 1935, the first branch of any northern Indiana bank.
• On January 20, 1940, 1st Source opened South Bend’s first drive-up window when it moved into the First Bank Building at the corner of Main and Jefferson.
• 1st Source’s popular Time and Temperature line started in 1940 and continues to receive more than 2.7 million calls per year.
• In the 1950s, the bank added 24-hour self-service night depositories and started mailing bank statements and canceled checks to clients.
• The 1st Source Specialty Finance Group, started in 1976, does business nationally by offering specialized financing services for new and used private and cargo aircraft, automobiles for leasing and rental agencies, medium and heavy duty trucks, construction and environmental equipment.
• In 1977, the bank introduced First Card, an early ATM card, to give clients greater convenience in accessing their money. Today, 1st Source processes 1.5 million debit card purchase transactions each month.
• In 1981, First Bank & Trust changed its name to 1st Source, a name that is easily recognizable and identifies the bank as the total source of financial services.
• In 2009, 1st Source Corporation was named one of the nation’s ‘100 Most Trustworthy Companies’ by Forbes.
• In 2012, 1st Source gave back more than $1 million to the community to support education, social welfare and human service efforts, the arts, economic development and community organizations.
• In 2012, 1st Source had 1,200 employees who volunteered more than 25,000 hours to over 300 community organizations.
• Over the years, the 1st Source family has expanded to include the First National Bank of Mishawaka, Bremen State Bank, Marshall County Bank, Community State Bank of North Liberty, Hamlet State Bank, Farmers State Bank of Wyatt, Standard Federal Bank of Fort Wayne and First National Bank Valparaiso.
• 1st Source has grown over the years to include 76 banking centers in 17 counties, 22 Specialty Finance Group locations nationwide, nine Trust and Wealth Management locations and nine 1st Source Insurance locations.
For more about 1st Source’s first 150 years click here