Just getting a small business up and running means long hours and extended work weeks. But when legal issues loom, an owner may find he's out of time, energy and ideas. The articles in this section are designed to provide the answers to dozens of questions - from how to find the right attorney, to the legalities of business structure, employment regulation and asset protection.
- Finding a Lawyer - Research the type of lawyer you need and find the one that makes the best fit for your needs.
- How a Lawyer Can Help Your Business - Small business owners should find a lawyer they like and trust and make that lawyer a part of their business team.
- How Legal Fees Work - There are different types of fee schedules, hourly, flat or fixed, contingency and blended fees. Be sure to know which type you are paying.
Setting Up a Business
- Choosing the Right Business Structure - A business's structure can affect everything from the way it is managed to the liability exposure its owners face.
- Basics of E-Commerce Sites - With e-commerce sites, entrepreneurs can start a new retail business with a minimum of expense and overhead.
- Establishing Website Policies - Website policies protect both you and your site's visitors, and they ensure that you stay in compliance with the law.
Employment Law, Discrimination, and Dispute Resolution
- Employment Laws that Apply to Your Business - Hiring employees also means that you are responsible for following state and federal employment laws.
- Avoiding Employment Discrimination and Encouraging Diversity - Avoid employment discrimination and encourage a diversified company.
- Ways to Avoid or Minimize Employee Lawsuits - Take some simple steps to avoid or minimize an employee lawsuit.
- Employment Disputes: Litigation, Arbitration and Mediation - Litigation, arbitration and mediation are all ways to rectify an employment dispute.
- Understanding Common Contract Terms - It's important to understand the terms of a contract before entering into one.
- Using Contracts to Protect Your Business - Contracts are one of the best ways you can protect your business and make sure you get paid for the work you do.
- Employment Contracts - There are several types of employment contracts that protects both the employer and the employee.
- What are Copyrights, Trademarks and Patents? - Copyrights, trademarks and patents are each designed to protect a different aspect of intellectual property.
- Basics of Copyright and Trademark Registration - Registering your copyrights and trademarks helps you enforce your intellectual property rights and prevents others from infringing them.
- Intellectual Property Issues for Websites - Websites can have intellectual property issues so taking the proper precautions can help down the line.