Dental: Industry: Training & Continuing Education
Although dentists professionals go through years of training for initial certification and licensing, they must continue their education indefinitely to continue practicing.
Most dentists are well acquainted with the details surrounding board certification and re-certification for their particular specialties. That said, every discipline in these professions requires meeting certain continuing education requirements, which vary from state to state and discipline to discipline.
Most states require renewal of dental licenses every two years, as well as a requisite amount of continuing education credits each renewal period. Practitioners may take advantage of credit-earning activities through their specific professional organizations. Some of the best opportunities are listed here.
JADA's online continuing education program designates four articles in each issue to serve as vehicles for continuing education credits. Candidates can earn up to two credits each month by reading one or more of the written pieces, and then answering related questions through online test forms. This opportunity is in partnership with the University of Colorado School of Dentistry and the American Dental Association both ADA -CERP recognized providers and accepted by the Academy of General Dentistry.
The ADA provides members with continuing education tailored to your specific needs. From the day you graduate dental school until the time you sell your practice, we'll provide cutting-edge, unique education that has an immediate impact on your ability to treat patients, grow your practice and meet state licensure requirements. From online to in-person, ADA has continuing education to fit your needs.
- ADA Continuing Education Online. With continuing education courses, ADA CE Online helps you gain unique education that impacts patients and helps you strengthen and grow your practice. ADA CE Online keeps track of your online CE and transcripts (including self-reported, state and local CE) and a wish list to store your favorite courses or add interesting ones for later. Save time with single sign-on and easy CE purchase through the ADA Store. Achieve your best any time, any place with ADA CE Online.
- JADA Continuing Education Program awards up to three credit hours a month.
- ADA Executive Program in Practice Management is a video-based e-learning certificate program available through the ADA Center for Professional Success. Dental practice management experts and first-rate business lectures from the University of Notre Dame’s Mendoza College of Business – all carefully selected by the ADA for certificate fulfillment – merge to provide a comprehensive six-course online certificate program in disciplines crucial to practice success.
- Dentistry in Long-term Care: Creating Pathways to Success is an online course developed by the ADA and the University of the Pacific to help dentists and their teams learn how to work successfully in nursing homes. Participants will receive 10 hours of CE credit for completing the eight-module course.
- ADA Annual Meeting, every October, thousands of ADA members gather from across the country to earn continuing education credit by attending three days of lectures and seminars spanning every dental specialty.
- ADA CE Live is unique, in-person education offered at ADA Headquarters in Chicago.
- ADA New Dentist Conference, now part of the ADA annual meeting, brings together new dentists (dentists less than 10 year out of dental school) to advance leadership skills, network, earn CE and have fun.
- ADA by State can connect you to the variety of CE opportunities offered through you state and local dental societies.
Other Educational Opportunities
- University of Florida College of Dentistry: Executive Practice Management Program offers ADA members a discount on an onsite, weekends-only agenda for a 13-month period. Covered topics include financial management, human resources, employment law and much more.
Membership at AGD means full access to high-quality continuing education (CE) courses you can take in your pursuit of Fellowship (FAGD), Mastership (MAGD), Lifelong Learning and Service Recognition (LLSR) awards, or simply to stay on top of your profession.
As a member, you have full access to our live and on-demand webinars as well as ADA’s free CE program, which includes up to six complimentary webinars for every AGD member.
The AAO offers a wide variety of educational opportunities for orthodontists, residents and orthodontic staff. We also provide career resources for members entering or transitioning out of practice, as well as members in academia.
Dental Office Professionals
Dental Hygienists, assistants and other dental office professionals often seek continuing education for career advancement or to satisfy state licensure and renewal requirements. In addition to dental programs at local universities, continuing education programs can also be found through dental trade associations.
The ADAA provides continuing education for dental assistants with a comprehensive catalog of courses. Courses are available at roundtables, online, or by a home study workbook, with tests graded by the ADAA. All courses are approved by the Dental Assisting National Board and state dental boards for certification and registration renewals.
The ADHA partners with state and local hygienist organizations to provide continuing education. Webinars and online courses are also offered, and the Website has a chart listing the CE requirements for each state.
AADOM’s eCampus provides a variety of educational resources for members, whenever and wherever it’s convenient for them. Choose from webinar recordings to educational modules complete with tests and certificates of completion.